Robert Messick concentrates his practice in the areas of real estate, commercial land development, banking, commercial transactional law, and commercial real property foreclosures and restructures – representing primarily developers and commercial lenders.
Mr. Messick’s real estate practice includes the representation of clients in purchase and sale transactions, including drafting contracts, completing due diligence, and handling land acquisition closings for commercial and residential properties. His extensive experience in this arena encompasses purchase and sale transactions involving properties for development purposes. Mr. Messick also assists clients with commercial landlord-tenant dealings, including the preparation and negotiation of leases, with a focus on developer/landlord transactions.
Litigation in the areas of real property, commercial foreclosure, and creditor bankruptcy rights related to real estate interest and commercial loan transactions continues to be a part of Mr. Messick’s practice.
- University of Florida College of Law (J.D., 1979), Honors; Phi Beta Kappa
- University of Florida (B.A., 1975), Honors
- Florida State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, District Court of the Virgin Islands (St. Thomas/St. John)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second, Fifth, and Eleventh Circuits
Background and Experience
- Loud, Watts & Murnan, Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas Virgin Islands (1979 to 1980)
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- The Florida Bar: Member; Business Law Section; Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section; Bankruptcy-UCC Committee, Member
- American Bar Association: Member
- Sarasota County Bar Association: Member
- The U.S. Virgin Islands Bar Association: Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute: Member
- Mote Marine Laboratory: Advisory Board, Member and Chair; Board of Trustees: Member