Thomas Hopkins’ accomplished practice includes real estate acquisition, formation of development entities, brokerage, development, leasing, lending, title insurance, workout of problem projects, tax-deferred exchanges, and real property disposition. He is Board Certified in Real Estate Law.
Mr. Hopkins also has extensive experience with the formation and administration of all types of business entities used in business ventures, having formed, advised, and assisted with the administration of hundreds of entities, including corporations, "S" corporations, general partnerships, limited partnerships, family limited partnerships, unincorporated proprietorships, land trusts, and limited liability companies.
Estate planning forms another major component of Mr. Hopkins’ practice. He counsels clients on all aspects of estate planning, including wills, revocable and irrevocable trusts, and, when appropriate, family limited partnerships or limited liability companies. Mr. Hopkins advises clients on strategies designed to both minimize anticipated estate taxes and satisfy their estate planning goals. As a natural element of this practice, Mr. Hopkins provides counseling with respect to health and medical planning issues.
Mr. Hopkins’ estate planning practice also encompasses the administration of estates or trusts, which may include collecting and identifying assets, paying debts, resolving claims, tax planning and filing of returns, investment management, and otherwise implementing the estate plan previously created.
- University of Florida College of Law (J.D., 1976), Honors
Order of the Coif; University of Florida Law Review
- University of Southern California (M.S., 1973)
- Dartmouth College (B.A., 1969)
Background and Experience
- Past President of Icard Merrill
- U.S. Air Force: 1969 to 1974, Captain
- Board Certified in Real Estate Law, The Florida Bar (since 1990)
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Florida Super Lawyers (2006 to present)
- Bronze Award, Legal Aid of Manasota (recognized for 20 to 49 hours of pro bono legal services) (2012)
- The Florida Bar: Member; Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section; 12th Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee, Past Member
- Sarasota County Bar Association: Member; President (1992 to 1993); Estate Planning Section; Real Estate Section, Past Co-Chairman
- Bar Association Legal Aid Society, Inc.: Past President
- Sarasota Realtor-Attorney Joint Committee: Past Member
- Lawyer Referral Service: Past Director
- Plymouth Harbor, Inc.: Chairman, Board of Trustees
- Sarasota County Civic League: Member; Past Board Member; Past President
- Dartmouth Club of Sarasota: Member; Past President
- Ivy League Club: Past President
- Diocese of Venice School Board: Past Chairman
- Tiger Bay Club: Member