David Levin limits his practice to environmental, real estate (with a particular emphasis on waterfront property closings and due diligence), land use, and governmental law.
Mr. Levin has counseled both public and private clients concerning legal matters in numerous areas, including coastal construction; real property transactions and closings; federal, state, and local dredge and fill permitting; riparian rights; residential and commercial dock, seawall, and marina permitting; mangrove alteration; storm-water discharges; wastewater collection and treatment; landfill permitting; groundwater contamination; environmental audits; and state submerged lands.
Having represented both public and private clients in litigation before federal, state, and administrative tribunals, Mr. Levin has extensive experience with administrative rulemaking and rule challenges and has represented both public and private clients in litigation before federal, state, and administrative tribunals.
Mr. Levin has served as City Attorney for the City of Punta Gorda, Florida since 2005.
- University of Miami School of Law (LL.M., Ocean and Coastal Law, 1980)
- Cumberland School of Law (J.D., 1979)
- Trinity College (B.S., Biology, 1975)
- Florida State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Background and Experience
- Florida Department of Environmental Regulation: Assistant General Counsel (1980 to 1981)
- State Attorney for Twelfth Judicial Circuit (Sarasota, Manatee, and Desoto Counties): Environmental Prosecutor (1982 to 1984)
- Sarasota County Legal Department: Assistant Director (1984 to 1987)
- The Florida Bar: Member; Administrative Law Section; Environmental and Land Use Law Section; City County and Local Government Law Section
- Sarasota County Bar Association: Member
Publications and Presentations
- Mr. Levin has authored several published articles on various environmental, coastal construction, and real estate topics, and is a frequent lecturer on these subjects.
- Author, “Towards Effective Cetacean (Whales) Protection,” Natural Resources Lawyer, v. XII, No. 4, 1979
- Author, “Protection of the Florida Manatee -- Part 1,” The Florida Bar Journal, v. LV, No. 1, 1981
- Author, “Protection of the Florida Manatee – Part II,” The Florida Bar Journal, v. LV, No. 2, 1981
- Lecturer, Florida Chamber of Commerce, Environmental Permit School
- Lecturer, Florida Municipal Attorneys Association Annual Meeting